Tuesday, March 26, 2013

And I thought it was just ...

... an ordinary heron in winter clothes!

I had seen this white bird with a yellow beak in some fields and also in and around a small lake in the forest. It could not be a stork, was my first reaction. Then when I spotted it standing in the shallow lake my guess was that it was a heron, but in winter white somehow.

After having taken a few shots of it, I looked it up in my European bird book and discovered it must have been a Great White Egret. But there was something odd about it. It should not really be here at all, since it belongs more to south-eastern Europe.

However I have the evidence it is here, and has been here for some time as well, out of season and out of its area. 


4 comments:

Zuzana said...

It looks so majestic, what a lovely shot.;)
Happy Easter to you and yours,
xoxo

Limningedge said...

I think we have those here also

Limningedge said...

I think we have those here also

swenglishexpat said...

Limningedge - Isn't he a bit plain-looking for your part of the world, I mean with all the very colourful birds you have?!