Thursday, October 04, 2007

Sweet & Sour





Well, first the sour bits; at the weekend I was pickpocket-ed in a restaurant, which meant I have had to cancel more than a handful of cards and change thirty-one passwords. Holy cow! All this because of possible information theft. I do not want to be too detailed since that might be taking a risk, but I can say that most of it was written in coded Swedish, even dialect, so there!. Now I have new, un-breakable passwords all across my internet activities. You know, when you sometimes enter a password for the first time and there is that indicator telling you how strong it is. I hit the very top, so I feel very confident about it now.



On a less soul-destroying level I had to sit through a dismal game of football yesterday. Liverpool were extremely poor against Marseille in the Champions League and lost at home 0-1. Some Liverpool players thought they had the win in a little sack before kick-off and forgot they actually had to go out there and earn it! Get your act together guys!


Here comes the sweet bit. After having enjoyed (a little too much perhaps) the Lufthansa Pilot game with a best place of 267th, I remembered a link to a game somebody sent me ages ago. I call it the Yeti and Penguin Game, not a particularly politically correct game for animal lovers, but, as you might guess, somewhat addictive, to use a British understatement. Just click a couple of times on the screen when it opens and you’ll figure out how to play it. And don’t tell me you didn’t bookmark it! ;-)

6 comments:

Eric Valentine said...

Hi Swen, sorry to hear of what happened to you. It's really coming to something nowadays when instead of wearing a nail through the nose, one needs to have a padlock on their pockets. I hope things all worked out for you my friend.

So you are a Liverpool supporter eh! I follow Manu myself, but even they need to smarten up too. :)

Christina | AmiExpat.com said...

Sorry to hear about the pickpocket. But now you have unbreakable passwords, that's always good.

Lynda said...

It is such a pain to lose all that information - I had my handbag stolen once and it took what seemed like years before I regathered my wits. I worry about my passwords - mostly that I can never remember them once I have set them!

EuroTrippen said...

My password is 19 characters long... something I gripe about when having to type it in, but it's never gotten hacked!

That sucks about your wallet. I have no idea what I'd do in a situation like that. With the language barrier and all I'd probably not even bother to call and end up funding the pickpocket's trip around the world...

christina said...

How annoying for you! I was pickpocketed in a department store many, many years ago and it was NOT a fun experience cancelling all the cards. Luckily those were the days before anyone had passwords. :-)

swenglishexpat said...

Eric, ChristinaG, Lynda, Eurotrippen and Christina,

Luckily the replacement cards have started arriving and some PINs too. The postal strike in the UK does not make it any better, so I think it will take some time before everything is back to normal. After the initial shock and disbelief, I feel more relaxed about it, but it does get to you. There is that little niggling thought at the back of your mind, what if this, that and the other….? My password is a few digits short of Eurotrippen’s, but I am now quite cool about it, or am I?