Sunday, March 27, 2011

Another Beautiful Day

When I still lived in Sweden, one of the most welcome signs of spring was the Wood Anemone. In London I did not get many chances to see any, but here in the German forests I have reacquainted myself with them. They thrive in deciduous surroundings, and you most likely find them where there are beeches. So when we went for a soul-refreshing walk today, we spotted some along the narrow road cutting through the woods.

Wood Anemone

When we came to our watering hole, a café by a small lake, we discovered somebody had parked their means of transport on the other side of a little stream.

Horses

I enjoyed a Bitburger, a German favourite.

Beer

After a quiet, long while most people started to leave to make it home before sunset. The equestrians got in the saddle again, some with much difficulty.

Saddling up

We started walking back past a fishing pond with its tranquil water and soul-soothing atmosphere.

Fishing

Crossing the open landscape with its farmland in spring mode, we met an old gentleman on his bike. This fellow is nearly ninety years old and cycles every day for hours. I see him everywhere, very often, and we always say hello and smile at each other, I with my camera and he with his binoculars. No wonder he has lived this long. Young people, take note! Exercise and fresh air go a long way towards a long life.

Cycling

5 comments:

Eric Valentine said...

very nice Swen, I am back LOL...

Too long with no computer is not good my friend. I see you have lots of changes for me to catch up on.. :)

Zuzana said...

Ah yes, vitsippor and gulsippor, absolutely so significant of Scandinavian spring, glad you have them in Germany too.;)
Did you vote by the way - can you vote?;)
Lovely images.;)
xoxo

swenglishexpat said...

Eric - Good to hear from you! A computer helps, I suppose. ;-) You are welcome any time.

Zuzana - Thank you. Yep, vitsippor! Quintessential spring flower.
The election was not in NRW, and I could not vote anyway I think, since I am technically on British soil, funnily enough. ;-)

Veronica said...

Particularly like the last photo ... my riding is in the gym - scenery doesn't look that good ... [and I know what you are thinking about my view ;-)]

swenglishexpat said...

Veronica - Thanks. Sorry for late reply, have been away on hols etc. No view? Could always try closing your eyes and just using your imagination. ;-)