Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Beautiful Blue Eyes

Just a quick post about something that happened this afternoon.

I heard a terrible commotion from the dense hedge at the bottom of the garden. Birds were shrieking in the nearby trees, and there seemed to be some movement in the hedge. First I thought there was some sort of fight taking place, but when I went down to investigate I found this young jackdaw on a weak and wobbly branch. It did not fly off, just moved further away from me. I did a quick tour of the web and found out about this bird. I believe it had just left the nest (in one of the tall trees above) and more or less fallen down into the hedge. Since it was not quite ready to fly just yet, it had to stay there while the parents were calling from all around. And they are loud!

The younger they are, the bluer the eyes. Are they not beautiful?

Jackdaw fledgling - png ab

7 comments:

oreneta said...

What a lovely bird! The eyes are amazing, and so are your photos!

Expats Again said...

Beautiful blue eyes is right! Great photo.

janet copenhaver said...

Awesome photo! Love how you captured the blue eye.

Zuzana said...

I do not think I have ever seen a bird with blue eyes.;) And what a lovely blue that is.;))
xoxo

swenglishexpat said...

Oreneta, Expats Again, Janey Wan and Zuzana - Thank you all for appreciative comments. Blue eyes yes, but I bet it can't sing like Frank Sinatra! ;-)

Anonymous said...

Oh, so very lovely! I hope it survives.

swenglishexpat said...

Well, there was a lot of calling from different locations for some time, but I believe the young one has gone now, flown off into adult life.