Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Blackbirds - The Next Generation

As I wrote in a previous post, I was worried that I had scared away the blackbird couple from their nest for too long when I trimmed the hedge. The single, beautifully blue egg might not make it without the parental body heat for a longer period, I thought.

Yesterday when I had returned from a run and was warming down and stretching in the garden, I decided to take another look. There was little light due to drizzly, dull weather, but I could just about make out a tiny silhouette next to, or partly under, the bigger parent.

So I rushed inside, still in my sweaty outfit, got the camera, put the long lens on and took a series of photos just to document it. My hands were not as steady as I had wished, but it is possible to see the young one just above the edge of the nest; even an eye is visible.

I felt much better now that I knew I had not committed a terrible, environmental crime. I am looking forward to seeing the fledgling trying its wings later. Better keep my camera ready!

DSC_0781_20090511_1298 cropped n fxd

4 comments:

Zuzana said...

How wonderful for you to be able to watch a bird family.;))
Great picture, looking forward to more.;))

christina said...

Aww, what a beautiful picture! You did well. We have tons of birds in the garden this year and I just LOVE sittin outside in the morning listening to them sing and watching them go about their business. The blackbirds are such funny characters, don't you think?

CanadianSwiss said...

Awww. That's great news! I hope that we'll be able to follow the blackbird family's evolution through you in the coming weeks :)

swenglishexpat said...

Protege and CS - Thank you, I am hoping to take more pictures, but when I checked yesterday after having cut the grass, the nest was empty. Has little one moved out? Don't know.

Christina - Thank you, it's the best time of the year for it I think, and the blackbirds in particular are such great singers.