Monday, September 29, 2008

First Cherry

AA Pic of the Week Apart from this blog, I also keep a photo blog where I display some of my many photos. They are always paired up (on the odd occasion there are three) with something they have in common, like shape, colour or concept. But I keep coming across the odd photograph; interesting, beautiful, funny ..., and I do not know what to do with it; so I have decided to launch a new feature here, Pic of the Week. I hope I can keep it up and do it regularly, hopefully weekly, as the name indicates.

My first picture is one from my childhood in 1955, and I just love it for being such a superb example of a middle class family on a Sunday stroll in the park. It is like out of a social history book. It depicts my mother with us three children and her own mother. I have just sent a paper copy of it to my mother, now 85, who did not remember the occasion when we spoke last night. I seem to be the only one who is not dressed up. Both adult women look elegant and my sisters have dresses and handbags. Did we really walk in the park in such style or was it indeed a special occasion? Maybe the photograph will trigger my mother's memory.

PotW cr 01

3 comments:

Eric Valentine said...

Very nice good quality photo Swen, lovely looking family. Looks almost like a scene from a movie.. :)

CanadianSwiss said...

Hmmmm. Because you were still "just a boy", you didn't really have to dress up?

swenglishexpat said...

Eric - It's one of my father's old slides and I suspect it might have been my grandmother's (62) birthday.
CS - Sadly I think my shorts are letting the group down. But I still remember the sailing boat top!