Tuesday, May 01, 2007

Living abroad

Living away from one's family often means that you visit at the 'highs and lows' of life; for instance my granddaughter's birth and birthdays, my niece's wedding, both my parents' 80th birthdays, my son's PhD, but also my father's funeral. Now I will travel to Sweden for my oldest uncle's funeral; it is a sad journey and the only consolation is that I will see other dear relatives. So it is with very mixed feelings that I am heading to the Old Country. My uncle had a very healthy, prosperous and happy life, and he passed away peacefully. He had grandchildren and there was even a third generation, so life continuous its natural course.

I have been organising old photos and slides lately, and I found this photo from when my uncle R was eight years old, standing on the left with his younger brother B on the right, and the girl in the centre is actually their aunt B. It is nearly 80 years ago, which you might guess from the clothes they are wearing.

No comments: