Sunday, November 23, 2008

Clothes Moths!

Look what they have done to my jacket, the little ba ****ds!

IMG_6906

I thought we had got rid of them. Do they ever go away? I have found holes in various sweaters and cardigans before, and the odd jacket or suit. It's terrible! I have used various tricks to deal with them, like lavender, some bits of wood that were supposed to act as a repellant and also some trap which sends out a sexual hormone smell to attract them and then they get stuck on a surface with tough glue. Did all that help? Apparently not! Oh, and I keep my Sunday bests in plastic covers, and they are fine luckily. I'm fed up with the little so-and-so.

There are other ways of renewing one's wardrobe you know! Can anybody suggest a foolproof way of ousting these wardrobe terrorists? Pleeease!

 

7 comments:

CanadianSwiss said...

Nope, not really. How about a sign to move to a "not so liked neighbourgh"?? :D

oreneta said...

dry clean and wash everything simulatneously, and then store it all in a cedar chest? Cedar chests were the traditional solution, what about cedar lining for the cupboards?

I don't really know honestly, but maybe some of that will help....at least cedar smells better than mothballs.

Rositta said...

Being a knitter and having a fairly large wool stash, I'm always on the lookout for these pests. Take everything out of the closet and either wash or dry clean. Wash all walls in the closet and vacuum baseboards. don't forget to wash the hangers too (hey have tiny eggs(. Store everything made of wool or wool blend in plastic (sorry no other way out) and I buy cedar balls and if I'm desperate there are cedar scented mothballs but only in small quantity and only if your totally desperate. Good luck...ciao

swenglishexpat said...

CS - he is a policeman!
Oreneta and Rositta - Thank you both for your excellent advice. I believe it is cedar wood that is in there, but maybe it all needs washing, cleaning and clearing out first for the cedar to have any effect. I suppose it won't look as good with plastic bags everywhere, but effective. Thanks again. At last I have to get rid of stuff that I never wear anyway! ;-)

Veronica said...

There is always something out to make life difficult or challenging. Here in the tropics, if you go away during the wet season, when you come home, all your leather shoes have changed to blue suede ;-)(covered in mildew), just lovely!

swenglishexpat said...

Veronica - Thanks for dropping in. "I know a song about that." Blue Suede Shoes with Elvis! ;-)
Seriously, must be extremely irritating having to think of that when you go away!

Veronica said...

Just one of the many "joys" of living in the tropics! Now is our awful time, and coming up to Christmas too ... ah well